Friday, April 20, 2012

Rockabilly

The beginning of last summer and about 5 months into my swing dancing, I met my very good friend Melissa. I met her at one of the dances at the  Mercury Cafe . We danced well together the whole night and had lots of fun. After the dance exchanged contact info and I went home. The next Sunday at the Mercury Cafe she was there and again we had lots of fun.  At the end of the night we were talking about dancing at other venues. I don't know how we got on the topic of Rockabilly but that lead into seeing what kind of Rockabilly bands are out there and the idea of scratching up the dance floor at one of the shows. Later that week I look up some Rockabilly bands and I found a show at the Skylark Lounge featuring the Atomic Drifters  (My now favorite Rockabilly band and good friends.) 

The Atomic Drifters @ Skylark Lounge


The Skylark Lounge is a fun dive bar in Denver at about 1st and Broadway. It is 50's themed and is the place for the best local Rockabilly bands.

Melissa ended up cancelling that night but I decided to go anyway and check it out. The band started and the music was exactly what I expected. They played my favorite old time songs from Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Ritchie Valens, Jonny Cash, and definitely their own awesome originals. I looked around and there was surly a Rockabilly scene. The ladies were in their vintage dresses and their hair like Marilyn Monroe. The guys were in there rolled up jeans, hot rod t-shirts, and their pompadours. It was cool to see although I noticed nobody in the room knew how to dance to this music. I did!

I wanted to dance so I went to the nearest rockabilly gal. She was in a blue vintage dress and her hair was done in a classic 1950s hairstyle. She didn't know the steps so I quickly showed her and we danced the rest of the song. That just made my night. With the good music, everyone dressed Rockabilly, and now the swing dancing. I was in heaven. The rest of the night I pulled random girls from the crowd and danced with them. It was my spotlight in that room even the band was complimenting me while on stage. When the night was over I came home to high heaven. The word Rockabilly ran through my head all night. Ever since that night I've been dancing at the many Rockabilly shows every single week with my vintage tie and pompadour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment