Monday, April 23, 2012

A.K.A. Ritchie Valens


Me singing La Bamba with the Atomic Drifters


My newly acquired nickname. Shoot I'm not complaining...

Learning to dance has opened me up to whole new world and opened doors that I thought would always be shut and locked. Life surely proved me wrong again.

A while back during a car show. I was talking to Rusty, the singer for the band "The Atomic Drifters". I told him that I really liked that song he sings "Come On Lets Go" originally sung by Ritchie Valense. I also told him I have been a fan of Ritchie Valens since the movie "La Bamba" Came out back in the 80's. Within that conversation I mention the I can play a few Ritchie Valens tunes on my vintage guitar.  He then got excited and and asked if I knew how to sing La Babma. "Hell Yeah I sing La Bamba" were the first words out of my mouth. He then asked I want to sing the song on stage with them. I obviously said yes.

About a month later Rusty had called me and asked me to come and rehears with them. I agreed and set a date meet up. That following Wednesday I meet them at their studio where they practiced. He asked, "Are you ready to try it?" I said, "Let's do it".  Michael (The bands lead guitarist) started playing the intro riff, the then Joe (the drummer) started the drum riff. They hit it perfect, so I just started singing. I sang through whole song and  Rusty a satisfied look on his face. When the song was over he said, "That was perfect". At that moment he offered me to sing in the next show in Central City, Co. (He usually don't do this, since I hit it perfect he was all for it). I said, "Hell Yeah.

That following weekend at their show he called me up stage with a nice introduction and I ROCKED IT. Now every show I attend he calls me up to sing.

I never would of thought I would have the opportunity to sing in a live band on stage, now here I am.

After I sang, it was pure dancing the rest of the night. Yet another fantastic night.

Wendi and I Dancing to Stray Cat Strut

Some great photos from the night too.









No comments:

Post a Comment