Monday, April 23, 2012

2012 Lindy Hop Student Showcase


Photo by: Mahala Gaylord

Every year the Mercury Cafe puts on this event to give student a chance to experience performing. For two months everyone learns a routine and at the end of the classes Tiffiny puts on a great show with numerous performances in all the vintage dance styles.

Laurie and I Dancing in the Showcase



I asked my friend Laurie to be my partner. She is an excellent dancer that dances very well and learns fast. A week before the final dress rehearsals the students were asked to volunteer for a solo dance in the middle. I of course jumped on that. We had the option to come up with our own solo. Looking on the internet I browsed for reference. I saw a 16 count dance combo done by Max Pitruzzella and Anny Trudeau. I presented it to Tiffiny and she said it was okay but it will be hard. So Tiffinys partner Ceth spent a day and broke down the steps. When our first dress rehearsal came he taught it to me and another couple who volunteered for a solo. The solo became a duet and we all worked on it and timed it until perfect. After the last dress rehearsal the whole routine was perfect and we were read

During the performance we rocked it. The whole show was fun and entertaining for the audience that filled the Mercury Cafe.

After the showcase was over the dance started. It was a fun night of dancing and a really great freestyle jam circle. At the end of the night I went home with smile on my face.


Jam Circle

Laurie and I are the fourth couple to go in.


I cant forget there was a fun bad dancing contest as well that I dominated. For someone who is a good dancer, bad dancing is very difficult, so yes I am proud of my win.

Bad Dancing Contest

No comments:

Post a Comment